Thank You for Bein' a Friend









Why yes, that is the Golden Girls theme song. Lisa has successfully taught it to the kids, and it turned out to be the perfect theme song for yesterday as we spent all day making friendship bracelets. Literally all day. Like 7 hours of bracelet making. It started in the morning when Krishna Bogati woke me up looking for an origami book which I failed to find, so I offered her the friendship bracelet book instead to satisfy her need for crafting. I took all thread down to the girls room, brought them some clipboards for holding the ends, had my morning tea with some beaten rice (my new fav) and dove into a project that outlasted the time I drew enough Disney princesses for every child in Nepal. It was great. So thank you Margaret for sending this wonderful book!!! They love it! As soon as I brought the supplies down we had to migrate from the girl's room to the big satsung room because everyone wanted in. The boys were into it too and made some pretty awesome things.

I was really impressed with how well everyone did. I never really made friendship bracelets when I was little because it looked so hard and I never gave it the time. But as long as I helped them keep their strings straight, they were able to make beautiful bracelets and were so proud of themselves with their finished products. Out of all the younger kids, Bindu especially got the hang of it and even built up some speed! Oh how I love my little Bindu. Sadly she is too tall to stuff into my suitcase :( But that's ok because her proportions will allow her to someday win America's Next Top Model and we will reunite in New York City where she will be the spokesmodel for the clothing line of her favorite thing in the universe, High School Musical.

In other news, it has been Lisa, Frank, and me holding down the fort this week (and the INCREDIBLE amazing stupendous staff of course). Hannah and Cristina left on Tuesday for a yoga and meditation retreat in Pokhara. Cristina will be back this Tuesday, while Hannah is continuing on to Israel, Palestine, and then finally home. I am so so happy to have met Hannah here. She is a wonderful person, and it is easy to see why she and Maggie are best friends. I look forward to our stateside volunteer reunion :) Maggie has also headed home to see her family and attend the Do Something Awards. They are on VH1 on Monday July 19th at 9 pm, so keep an eye out!

This has been a short one, so I hope you enjoy the pictures :)


4 Response to "Thank You for Bein' a Friend"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Awe! Makes me want to create a friendship bracelet now! I can't wait til DJ is old enough to understand how to do those kinds of things! Love you!

  2. Unknown Says:

    ooo now i want a craft day too!!

    Awesome pictures, I love the one with just the face with the light on the one side, very nice shot.

    Ahh I miss you!!
    <3

  3. Kelly Says:

    DUDE I have so many new fun crafts to do made from recycles materials. We're def gonna have craft day when I'm home lol You and Bri are gonna come home from your trip and your house is going to be full of new paper mache decor hahaha
    Jen, DJ's gettin there soon! I was really surprised at how well the little kids did when I just kept the strings straight for them and helped them count loops and stuff.
    Miss you and love you!

  4. Unknown Says:

    lol you know how excited i get about recycled materials

Post a Comment